Choosing the right task management software is crucial if you want to be productive and organized.
From time tracking to team collaboration, the best task management software can help you achieve your goals.
In this guide, I’ve ranked and reviewed the leaders in task management software, along with my top picks, so you can choose the best one for you.
When it comes to task management software, my top picks are Monday.com and Wrike.
With more teams working remotely than ever, it’s important to manage projects effectively.
Whether you are a project manager or lead an agency, SaaS, or marketing team, everyone needs to be on the same page and know what needs to be done.
This is where task management software comes in.
Basically, you need a task management tool that can help with things like file sharing, project management tools, timesheets, tracking goals and key results, and more. task assignment to quickly complete projects.
What is the best software to manage your tasks (To-do list)?
Here are my top picks for the best task management software to use this year.
Best overall task management software (free – $8 per seat per month).
Monday.com is a very popular task management tool that offers a simple layout and user interface. The user interface looks like a spreadsheet, although it is highly customizable. It also comes with a host of features that make it interactive and powerful.
With its automation and remote task management capabilities, it makes your job easier. The 360-degree view lets you monitor all tasks and ensure team members stay on the same page.
You get a free 14-day trial period to test out their premium offerings before upgrading.
- Automated Workflows – No-code automation helps you complete tasks like changing status, setting due dates, moving cards, sending notifications, and more.
- Integrations – You can integrate over 50 professional tools to consolidate all data into a single dashboard. It also helps to streamline your tasks.
- View data efficiently – Track your tasks across multiple boards and manage your workload. Functions such as the “timeline” and a visual task management tool also allow you to plan your team’s work visually.
- Its visual dashboard makes it easy to get an idea of your progress.
- Tag members and assign deadlines for project tasks on any map.
- It offers deep integration with over 50 enterprise tools.
- You get an in-depth overview using the calendar, timeline and kanban view.
- Besides collaborating with your team members, you can also invite people.
- Share files and links and add comments to set tasks.
Monday.com offers four pricing plans based on the number of users.
Here are the pricing plans (for up to three users):
- Basic: $24 per month, billed annually.
- Standard: $30 per month, billed annually.
- Pro: $48 per month billed annually.
- Company: Plan on an estimate.
All plans come with a 14-day free trial with unlimited boards. No credit card is required. You also get an 18% discount on annual payments.
Best task management tool for remote teams ($10.99 per month).
Asana is an online task management software that helps coordinate your team and manage your tasks, projects, and assignments online. Millions of professionals around the world use it because of its simple user interface.
Much like Trello, Asana offers a drag-and-drop interface for viewing your work. Similarly, you can go through several stages – from the beginning to the end of the task.
There is also the “Timeline” function which helps you to synchronize similar projects.
The timeline view also shows your whole team how the pieces of a task fit together. You can also automate tasks to save time.
Here are five manual processes you can automate with Asana:
- Moving tasks to the correct project cards.
- Assign tasks to the right team member.
- Automatically add followers when the due date changes.
- Set and change due dates.
- Alert team members when the task is ready.
Additionally, Asana’s reporting features allow you to track completed tasks and send alerts when a task is completed.
- Visualize your work – Visualize your tasks using different formats such as tables, lists, timelines and schedules.
- Tasks and subtasks – Break down your task tracker into manageable pieces to show the complete project process.
- Add attachments – Add links, images, and Dropbox files in many formats to any task in a map.
- Views and Reports – Track the progress of your tasks, get automatic updates, and see what’s happening across your organization.
- Administrative controls – Administrative control allows you to control teams and collaborate with suppliers. It also allows you to ensure that each member has access to the right tasks and information.
- Integration of over 100 third-party tools in a single dashboard.
- Ability to define security controls and administrators.
- Collaborate with your team and invite guests securely.
- Add task comments to convey everything in detail.
- Create Gantt charts to visualize your tasks.
Asana offers four different plans:
- Basic: $0.
- Premium: $10.99 per month, billed annually.
- Business: $24.99 per month, billed annually.
- Company: Plan on an estimate.
Both paid plans come with a free trial period.
To-Do List with calendars and reminders ($2.99 per month).
Any.do is a task management app with a list-like interface that offers calendars, schedulers, and reminders.
Like many other task management apps on this list, Any.do also offers a drag-and-drop interface. However, there are other amazing features that make it unique.
Take the “Moment” function, for example.
Basically, you’ll get a push notification letting you know about all your plans for the day. There are other amazing features like voice typing, auto-clear completed tasks, etc.
There is also a free reminder tool that lets you add daily, weekly, and monthly reminders.
Also, the mobile app lets you access your to-do list anywhere in the world. It also allows you to easily collaborate with your team.
- The Calendar app – The Calendar app lets you control your tasks in a single view. It also lets you consolidate all your engagements under one dashboard, including social events, business meetings, and more.
- Daily Planner – It alerts you every morning to tell you your tasks for the day.
- Online Personal Assistant – Online Personal Assistant makes appointments on your behalf, searches for offers, etc. Moreover, it works as a real assistant.
- Its online personal assistant is one of the unique features of any task management app.
- The user interface is beautifully designed.
- It also provides a Chrome extension.
- The pricing plans are extremely reasonable, especially considering its advanced features.
- It works with both Siri and Alexa.
- It is compatible with all types of devices, such as Android, iPhone, Chrome, Windows, etc.
Any.do offers three billing cycles:
- 1 month: $5.99 per month
- 6 months: $4.49 per month
- 12 months: $2.99 per month (You’ll save 50%)
Once you’ve upgraded to the Premium plan, you can:
- Color your tasks.
- Customize themes.
- Set location-based reminders.
- Customize recurring tasks.
- Add an unlimited number of attachments.
You can also get an assistant that works 24*7*365 at a reasonable price. However, you must ask for the cost.
Organize your tasks with to-do lists ($3 per month).
Todoist works like a to-do list to organize tasks. It offers many amazing features to help you organize tasks by date, color code, and more.
You also have plenty of custom templates, such as social media timeline, product roadmap, development workflow, and more. Additionally, Todoist offers a clear overview of all your tasks.
You can quickly add new tasks and comments, set recurring due dates, and create neatly organized subtasks.
Additionally, integrations with third-party business tools like Google Drive also streamline the entire task management process.
- Share the workload – You can easily delegate tasks and get automatic notifications when someone posts comments or completes tasks.
- Set daily goals – Todoist awards “karma” points for completed tasks to motivate your team members to achieve daily goals.
- Pair Todoist with business tools – Integrate with other business tools you already use, such as Dropbox, Zapier, Amazon Alexa, and more.
- It is compatible with all types of OS including macOS, Windows, desktops, smartphones, etc.
- The Gmail extension and other email plugins like Outlook turn email marketing into a task.
- Set recurring due dates and add color codes to categorize tasks.
- You can pin your favorite tasks and add labels and filters.
- The freemium plan allows you to manage up to 80 tasks.
- Paid plans also offer a 30-day free trial.
Todoist offers three pricing plans:
- Free for small teams just starting out.
- Premium: For pros, at $3 per month, billed annually.
- For Business: For Teams at $5 per month, billed annually.
You can try both paid plans for free for one month. Plus, you can also get your money back within 30 days of purchase.
For modern and medium-sized businesses ($9.80 per month).
Wrike is another great task management tool for modern businesses. It is particularly suitable for teams that want to modify and customize their workflows within a single task manager. Wrike is also one of the best workflow management and board meeting tools out there, which is a big plus for me.
Their software helps you simplify your workload. Wrike primarily focuses on remote team collaboration and customizing workflows between team members.
With features like personalized dashboards and streamlined workflows, it helps you stay productive even when you’re away from your team members.
You can work in real time with unique features like:
- Real-time feedback on tasks.
- Ability to share information with all stakeholders.
- Live editing.
- Powerful reports.
- Extensive Integrations – Wrike offers integration with essential business tools like GitHub, Slack, Salesforce, and more.
- Improved communication – All communication, decision-making, and task management happens in one shared space. Real-time collaboration tools further enhance communication.
- Create Customizable Reports – Take a template, customize it, and create templates to get a better overview of your tasks.
- Wrike’s multiple views feature provides full transparency into your tasks.
- Built-in approval features help your team get full feedback for every task.
- It has many security measures in place to allow access only to authorized members.
- Break tasks down into chunks to micromanage them and tag your team members on each card.
- Wrike’s analytics feature provides detailed reports to track your tasks and accomplishments.
Wrike comes with four plans:
- Free: $0 for 5 users.
- Professional: $9.80 per month for 5, 10 or 15 users.
- Business: $24.80 per month for 5-200 users.
- Company: Plan on estimate for 5 unlimited users.
All plans come with a free trial. The freemium plan provides all essential features including task management, board view, file sharing, real-time activity stream.
Additionally, the paid plans come with more advanced features, like Gantt charts, time tracking, and more.
Best for kanban boards ($5 per month).
Trello is a productivity platform that lets you collaborate with your team and get more work done in less time. Its charts and maps organize your work and help you prioritize tasks.
It is also famous for its simple interface, based on the principle of drag and drop. For example, you can easily drag and drop between sections the cards containing the tasks assigned to them.
In sum, it allows you to create milestones for your projects – from start to finish. You can give each card a name, assign it to team members, set a due date, and more.
Then there’s its built-in workflow automation butler that performs a host of tasks on your behalf:
- Calendar commands.
- Rule-based triggers.
- Due date alerts.
- It creates custom maps.
- Automation Tool – Butler automates the whole task management process by performing multiple tasks including calendar commands, setting reminders, etc.
- Third-Party Integrations – Integration with apps like Slack and Dropbox lets you collaborate with your team.
- Information at a Glance – Collaborate with your team by creating different cards, adding activities, setting due dates and reminders, and more.
- It offers plenty of templates for characteristic categories like engineering, marketing, business, and more.
- The process is simple: just copy the templates, customize them, and start collaborating.
- Ability to attach images and files to any card.
- Drag-and-drop user interface.
- Easy file sharing and storage.
- Task progress charts help you start prioritizing to-do lists.
- Freemium plan with unlimited personal boards, cards and lists.
Trello offers three different plans, with monthly or annual subscriptions.
- Free: $0 per user per month (billed annually).
- Standard: $5 per user per month (billed annually).
- Premium: $10 per user per month (billed annually).
- Enterprise: $17.50 per user per month (billed annually).
All plans offer standard features such as unlimited personal boards, maps, and lists.
Best for ease of use and simplicity (free – $10/month)
Teamwork is a task management platform that is growing in popularity not only because it is a powerful tool, but also because it is easy to use.
It has an intuitive user interface and allows users to easily manage multiple projects, making it popular with project managers, business owners, agencies, and professional service providers.
- Instantly know what’s going on with board views, dashboards, and project health updates.
- Time tracking lets you know how long tasks take, allowing you to plan more efficiently.
- The workload feature allows you to check the workload of all team members at a glance, so you can assign and redistribute tasks as needed.
- Project visualization is easy with Gantt charts, marked timelines, and set-up reports.
- Flexible, easy-to-use, feature-rich enterprise software.
- Great customer support.
- 30 day free trial.
- Free access to time tracking invoicing for your customers.
- Free forever: Max 2 Projects
- Pro: $10 per user (per year), monthly billing is $12.50.
- Pro: $18 per user (per year), monthly billing is $22.50.
- Contact Teamwork to discuss corporate pricing
8. Toggl Plan
Best task management tool for capacity planning (free – $8/month).
Toggl Plan is task management and team planning software that helps you keep track of your projects online. It’s great for keeping an overview of your team’s workload and task progress.
Like some of the other tools mentioned, Toggl Plan uses a drag-and-drop interface. It’s designed to be simple and easy to use, so no training is required.
This is a great option for people who find themselves responsible for monitoring projects, without having any training or real experience in project management.
In addition to managing daily tasks, one of the great things about Toggl Plan is tracking your team’s capacity.
The timeline lets you see at a glance whether people are underemployed or overworked, and when you have room to take on new projects.
- Team and Task Calendar – View your team’s tasks, their availability for new tasks, and work progress at a glance.
- Tasks and Checklists – Create tasks and add the details: attachments, comments, tags and step-by-step checklists to track progress.
- Calendar Sharing – Calendars can be shared in 2 clicks via an auto-updating URL, making it easy to keep customers informed.
- Task boards and statuses – Switch to the kanban board view to change tasks from “in progress” to “completed”. Create custom statuses based on your workflow.
- Browser extension – Add tasks from anywhere in your web browsers, like your mail or another tool, using the Chrome extension.
- Easy to use, no training or onboarding.
- Get an overview of the whole team’s work.
- Ensure the team has the right number of tasks and track capacity.
- Control who has access to each of your plans
- It’s easy to keep customers and stakeholders informed about the progress of tasks.
- Task comments make collaboration tidy and easy
Toggl Plan offers 3 different plans:
- Free: $0.
- Standard: $9 per month billed monthly (or $8 billed annually)
- Enterprise: $15 per month billed monthly (or $13.50 billed annually)
Paid plans come with a 14-day free trial period.
Best for time tracking and detailed planning ($7.50 per month).
Jira is a great option for agile teams to plan, track, and organize work. You can create stories and issues for each team member to assign separate tasks.
Full map visibility helps you track the progress of tasks. You can also set different filters for cards, such as released, unreleased, and in progress.
One of its most amazing features is that it lets you choose your workflow. In other words, you can create your own submission path.
For example, you can assign cards in this order: “Open > In Progress > In Review > Final Approval > Completed.”
Or you can create any other workflow.
Plus, you can extend your workflow by integrating it with other business tools you already use. Jira also comes with strict security measures to secure your data.
- Accurate Estimating – Estimating such as hours, points, etc. helps you become more disciplined and efficient.
- Planning features – Frameworks like scrum, kanban, and mixed methodology allow you to create flexible plans for your team.
- Data encryption – Jira uses strict security policies and data compliance to keep your organization’s data secure.
- It provides sprint boards and Kanban boards for better transparency and flexibility.
- Create roadmaps for your team to help them visualize the task delivery path.
- Real-time reports provide an overview of your company’s task management process.
- Automation and drag-and-drop interface make it easy to manage tasks and save time.
- The mobile app allows you to stay in touch with your team wherever you are.
- Customizable workflows.
- It integrates with over 3000 third-party apps.
Jira software offers three pricing plans:
- Free: Free plan for up to 10 users.
- Standard: $7.50 per user per month.
- Premium: $14.50 per user per month.
Both paid plans are free for the first week, and no credit card is required. You can request custom pricing for more than 100 users.
The best is for a detailed overview of your tasks ($39 per month).
Nifty is one of the best task management apps to get a detailed overview of tasks. It helps you break down your projects into tasks to achieve big goals.
You have three types of views (Kanban view, detailed view, and list view) to view all your tasks without missing a step.
Nifty’s “My Tasks” section keeps you up to date with your assignments and activities and keeps you on top of your tasks.
You can even sort all tasks by the due date to know what needs to be completed first. Also, you can filter tasks based on the due dates, milestones, etc. You can also create templates for recurring tasks and use them for future tasks.
The good news is that switching to Nifty is also quite easy. It allows you to quickly transfer your pre-existing tasks from platforms like Trello.
- Automate task assignment – When you assign a member a task from a list, they automatically have access to all tasks on that list.
- Add subtasks – You can add subtasks to set smaller goals and manage your tasks easily.
- Time Tracking – Time Tracking helps you keep track of your hours and the time you took to complete a task.
- The user interface is intuitive and simple to use.
- Switching from another platform to Nifty is quite simple.
- You can use custom labels to organize your tasks.
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.
- Set repeating tasks by date or status to create a scheduled cycle of tasks.
Nifty offers four pricing plans:
- Starter: $39 per month, billed annually.
- Pro: $79 per month billed annually.
- Business: $124 per month, billed annually.
- Enterprise: $399 per month, billed annually.
You can upgrade or downgrade whenever you want. Plus, you get a 14-day free trial to get a feel for the product.
Task management for large teams ($8.25 per month).
MeisterTask is a task management tool for teams that gets more work done in less time. Its user interface is quite simple and easy to navigate.
You just need to focus on three big building blocks, namely Tasks, Dashboard, and Projects. Besides that, they offer lots of tutorials and support articles to get started easily.
Other essential features include regular data backup and recovery software, Kanban-style boards, deep integration with third-party tools, detailed reports and statistics, and more.
You can also become a “spotter” assign tasks to team members and stay in the loop to track progress.
- Time Tracking – The built-in time tracker keeps track of how many hours it took to complete a task. It is very useful for team estimates and projections.
- Custom Fields – Add custom fields to categorize tasks and information you regularly need.
- Checklists – Multiple checklists allow you to ensure that all tasks are completed on time.
- Adding attachments – You can add files and other attachments (up to 250) to cards with tasks.
- The drag-and-drop user interface structure is sleek and easy to navigate.
- Kanban-style boards make task management easier and provide a 360-degree view of your tasks.
- It’s available on smartphones so you can collaborate with your team remotely.
- You receive automatic notifications to keep you up to date.
- No manual installation or update is required.
- The freemium plan offers all the necessary features for a beginner.
MeisterTask offers four pricing plans:
- Basic: free.
- Pro: $8.25 per month.
- Businesses: $20.75 per month.
- Company: Personalized plan.
The Basic plan is suitable for simple task management, while the Pro plan allows for deep integration and automation. On the other hand, the Business plan is for extended group sharing.
Then there’s the Enterprise plan, which is suitable for larger businesses that need more advanced custom features.
Task management using spreadsheets ($7 per month).
Smartsheet is a spreadsheet-based app for managing tasks and plans under a single dashboard. Basically, it works like a spreadsheet with more advanced features for task management. It allows you to store all the tasks you are working on in a single spreadsheet. You can even open them all together in a tabbed view.
You also have plenty of tools to create task overflows, set due dates for tasks, and break task rows into sub-rows.
It also allows you to perform other actions such as:
- Added checkboxes for tasks.
- Add attachments to rows containing tasks.
- Comment on tasks to describe anything in detail.
- Conditional Reminders – You can set conditional reminders to get regular updates on the status of a task. For example, you will receive reminders when a task reaches an important milestone or when the due date is approaching.
- Multiple Views – Efficiently view your tasks using different views i.e. Grid, Gantt, Map, and Calendar.
- Reports – The reports feature allows you to consolidate all your task data and information into one overview.
- The mobile app for iOS and Android provides real-time access to your tasks, wherever you are.
- It offers seamless integration with tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, G Suite, Microsoft, Slack, etc.
- The dashboard is easy to use and provides an overview of the progress of your tasks.
- It allows you to view tasks and data in real-time with live graphs.
- You can automate workflows and recurring tasks.
Smartsheet offers two standard pricing plans:
- Pro: $7 per user (minimum 3 users) per month billed annually.
- Enterprises: $25 per user (minimum 3 users) per month, billed annually.
- Company: Contact them for a personalized quote
Both plans come with standard features such as simplified administration, multiple views, support and training, etc. You can also request a custom plan for advanced features not available with either plan.
Free task management app for easy collaboration.
Sendtask is a task management tool that lets you create to-do lists for your tasks. It allows you to collaborate with your team, customers and suppliers from a single dashboard. The amazing thing is that your suppliers and customers don’t even need to have an account – they can still collaborate with your team.
Besides the onboarding process, the automatic reminders and the direct integration with Slack are other positive points. In addition, the software is still in its beta version, and its use is therefore free. The official site also claims that the current features will always remain free – so that’s another good news for you.
- Task management directly from your inbox – You can follow the progress of your tasks and manage everything directly from your emails. Neither your team members nor your guests need Sendtask accounts to access it.
- Recurring Tasks – You can set specific tasks to repeat on your schedule. You can also break down tasks into subtasks for better task management.
- Collaboration features – You can give instructions to your team through comments, add links and attachments, assign tasks to whoever you want, etc. All of these task management features help you easily collaborate with your team.
- It offers great customization options. You can add filters and sorting options to your workflow.
- Task management is simplified by the distribution of subtasks and recurring tasks, including resource management.
- Control and track the progress of your tasks.
- Collaborate with your team without a user account.
- Manage emails and tasks right from your inbox.
- It offers an iOS mobile app.
The software is still in its beta version and is free for an indefinite period.
FAQ – Task management software
What is task management software?
Every existing project consists of multiple small tasks. It is by tackling, managing, and carrying out all these tasks that a business functions.
Simply put, task management software is an online tool that helps manage tasks, including estimating and scheduling, and time tracking, and is a collaborative task management tool to help team members complete projects.
They range from simple to-do list management and teamwork assistance to chat functionality and advanced work management features. Companies need to be clear about their goals in order to maximize the benefits of these tools.
Task management software should help small and large businesses, freelancers, and everyone in between clarify their scheduling process and execute their individual tasks consistently.
How do you use task management software?
Any task management software aims to organize business tasks and get them done on time. Most tools work the same way.
Let’s demonstrate using Asana ‘s example :
First, create an account and log in using your credentials. You can create your first task immediately by clicking the “Add task” button.
Asana lets you create your first project in a similar way. A project typically involves the grouping of many tasks for a particular initiative or goal.
With Asana, you can view each task at different levels of detail like lists, boards, calendars, and timelines. Besides, you can also organize your tasks according to various factors. You can also sort and filter tasks as desired.
What should you look for in task management software?
Here are some of the standard features to look for in task management software:
- Manage All Tasks on One Platform – The software must allow users to manage all tasks on one platform. You should be able to delegate and track tasks right from your dashboard. For example, Asana. It allows you to manage all your tasks directly from its dashboard.
- Seamless Collaboration – Managing tasks in any business requires collaboration. Your task management tool must therefore be able to share files, comments, ideas, etc. It helps all team members to track tasks from the same page.
- Automation – Businesses today need the power of automation. It helps to have a tool that can create automated workflows to improve your time management.
- Free Trial – You can’t tell which software will work best for your business. That’s why it’s a good idea to try different ones and experience them firsthand. Task management tools like Monday.com offer a 14-day free version. This allows you to judge its merits without any investment.
- Integration with third parties – Task management software should offer extensive integrations with third-party applications for seamless collaboration. For example, Monday offers integration with Zoom, Slack, Zendesk, Salesforce, Outlook, Excel, Jira, etc.
Also, remember that the more user-friendly the workspace of the software you have chosen, the easier the professional life of your team will be. It will be easier to spot dependencies between tasks and develop an action plan based on a prioritized list.
The right task management system will aid in the planning and execution of projects, empowering recipients to use such a list app to know exactly what they need to do.
Finding the right task management software should be easy now with this review.
All of these task management tools can help you get organized, track your project’s progress, and collaborate with your team.
These are standard features that you will find in almost all of these applications. However, there are other critical things you need to focus on before making your final decision.